By Lidia Bastianich of Lidia’s Italy
I hear it from you out there all the time: I love it, but how do I use it? Here are my tips for how to best use olive oil.
1. Extra virgin olive oil is best when used in its raw form—to drizzle on salads and before serving a bowl of soup or pasta.
2. Do not use olive oil for frying, canola or vegetable oil is best for that, but you can add a little olive oil to the pan for flavor.
3. When cooking or sautéing, use olive oil, but keep the heat at a low temperature. Olive oil has a low smoking point.
4. Olive oil is a great antioxidant for your body when ingested.
5. To prevent oxidation or rancidity, store olive oil in full, small bottles, tightly shut in a dark and cool place.
Lidia Matticchio Bastianich was born in Pola, Istria, on the northeastern coast of the Adriatic Sea. She is a cookbook author, restaurateur, and TV chef extraordinaire. Watch Lidia’s Italy Saturdays at 1:30pm on WGBH 2 or Sundays at 4pm on WGBH 44.